Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Perks of Being a Wallflower


I had always been told in high school that I should read this. It was recommended to me by various sources, and almost every book club I joined/website/book I read told me, "If you like this book, you should read 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'." So, the other day I was wandering aimlessly and happily around Borders and decided to finally purchase it and see what the big deal was about.

From a literary standpoint, I loved it. I always like books written in diary-form anyways (Megan Mccafferty's are some of my favorites), but this one was different. He wrote like I think (and write sometimes)...stream of consciousness. Sad story, funny story, important story.

I never had to deal with being the "awkward/loner" kid in high school. Cheerleading pretty much made sure of that...but I was different. Christ in me, His place and Lordship over my life made me different. I didn't live for the things my girlfriends lived for, didn't do the things they did or talk about the things they talked about....so, in a way, I felt the lonliness. Books became of huge importance to me in my high school years...a passion I continued throughout college and still continue now.

Most of all, I just felt for Charlie. I would like to think that if he had been in my English class, that I would've befriended him.

I hope the Charlie's in high schools all around America always have someone in their life that pushes them, believes in them, and tells them that they love them.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM , Blogger janelle said...

word. never read the book, but i think i got a pretty good idea from your thoughts. i think we were almost the same person in high school. holler!

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

My kids who have read this loved it. I have a student who borrowed it twice because he wanted to re-read it. I love Catcher in the Rye, and I see the close connection between Catcher and Perks, so I enjoyed that. It's a shocking read, though, yes? I'm surprised that you don't offer a disclaimer:)

I love the title, too.

 
At 12:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this book is me.
i love it.
so much

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home