Sunday, October 26, 2008

Recent words that have encouraged me lately:

"Grant, O Lord my God, that I may never fall away in success or in failure; that I may not be prideful in prosperity nor dejected in adversity. Let me rejoice only in what unites us and sorrow only in what separates us. May I strive to please no one or fear to displease anyone except Yourself. May I seek always the things that are eternal and never those that are only temporal. May I shun any joy that is without You and never seek any that is beside You. O Lord, may I delight in any work I do for You and tire of any rest that is apart from You. My God, let me direct my heart towards You, and in my failings, always repent with a purpose of amendment".
~St. Thomas Aquinas

"Life is likely to continue to hold many forms of torture and dismay for that unhappy person and for all who refuse to receive with Thanksgiving instead of complaint the place in life God has chosen for them. The torture is self-inflicted, for God has not rejected their prayers. He knows better than any of us do what furthers our salvation. Our true happiness is to be realized precisely through His refusals, which are always mercies."
~Elisabeth Elliot

"Let me remember that when I question God's dealings. I don't understand Him, but then I'm not asked to understand, only to trust. Bitterness dissolves when I remember the kind of love with which He has loved me-He gave Himself for me. He gave Himself for me. He gave Himself for me. Whatever He is doing now, therefore, is not cause for bitterness. It has to be designed for good, because He loved me and gave Himself for me".
~Elisabeth Elliot

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness'. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me".
~2 Corinthians 12:9

"Ultimately, contentment is more a shift in attitude than a change in circumstances.... God, don't let my pain be wasted. Use it to conform me to Your image. Use it to teach me how to be content".
~Linda Dillow

3 Comments:

At 2:00 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Rob. What EE book are those quotes from?

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger RobinDayle said...

Keep a Quiet Heart.
I'm reading that, along with Calm My Anxious Heart.
It's a double-wammy of learning how to be content in all circumstances. I'll take all I can get. ;-)

Miss you sister.

 
At 7:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Elisabeth Elliot quote. Thanks so much for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home